Sunday, January 10, 2010

trying to crochet ... now what?

OK, I was supposed to be just buying some calico in Spotlight the other day .... but I feel like a major cluser (craft-loser) not crocheting at the moment, so I bought a hook, some wool and had a go at refreshing my skills (splitting my sides with laughter right now) from many, many years ago when mum showed me. There were LOTS of false starts, so I asked Aunty Esther for some help because she kindly put a "how to" on YouTube. Anyway, so now I have this ...



...now what?! I have no idea what I'm doing. I was thinking it was just a practice go before I find a super simple pattern written for super simple people (like me). (I aspire to one day make a potholder like the ones on Kate's wall which are fabulous. I know, I'm dreamin'). However, does anyone know any really easy pattern sources for pretty round crocheted thingies that people with no idea about the dc and sc and tension could possibly try for fun?

Hope you're having a good weekend too!

10 comments:

Cathie said...

oh wow! you are so NOT a cluser. I wish I could do that!!
when you find a simplish pattern let me know, maybe we could learn something at tinniegirl's craft bonanza.
have a fab sunday Nic.

Unknown said...

Hmmm I'd say you are off to a great start...Loving the red too!

Looks like you are working in the round rather then joining. Add a solid dc border go smaller with the stitches with SC's and then a few slipstitches add a loop and hang as your first potholder project :)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

You go girl, it's looking ace & red is always a gorgeous choice of colour. You're trying something new, massive kudos to you!! Love Posie

Kate said...

Oh wow, thanks so much Nic! I think you are doing so well already! it looks great. Just use Mr Google I say. I googled everything when I started...round crochet patterns for beginners...easy round crochet...stuff like that. I have been thinking of doing a pot holder tutorial, maybe I should.

Jodie said...

Now you are scaring me ...is there anything you can't do?

small forest said...

Please dont laugh at me. I have a really foolproof idea for beanies. When I was first learning to crochet it was winter and I thought id do some beanies. I have four children, mind you, so what didnt fit one head went on to fit another. I had fun, which I thought was the most important thing at the time. Now i truly aspire, since you ask, to finish the huge blanket I went on to after the beanies were a success. Im quarter of the way through a queen size and counting. Happy crocheting to all.

Christina Lowry said...

Have you found Lucy's blog, Attic 24? She has patterns in it for a ripple throw and a hexagon block, which sound hard, but a few practice goes and novice crocheter me got the hang of it and I don't think I could do circles! :)

Amy said...

you are tackling a new years resolution of mine! Well done. I have purchased the goods, now I have to find a spare 20 ish minutes to give it a go!
good luck!

edward and lilly said...

I'm also a cluser when it comes to crochet having only mastered the granny square so I'm afraid I'm no help to you but it looks like you're going great guns anyway!

Pippi creates said...

We got jinxed! I just leant to crochet on the weekend too! Although my effort was much more pathetic than yours - all I managed was a long chain of very uneven loops. Much to lean! Looks like your skills have come right back!