Saturday, January 23, 2010

my place and yours - what i'm reading ...

Thanks to Vic at Punky & Me for being a super Theme Queen for the first My Place and Yours for 2010. This weeks theme is "What I'm reading". I read lots - magazines (I have a slight addiction - this has been the topic of many blog posts!), blogs, books, newspapers. Unfortunatley, I don't have a lot of time to read, so I end up with stacks of books and mags next to my bed ...



I love home mags, craft mags and zines, cooking mags and cook books. I got the Movida one for Christmas - there are some such yummy recipes in  there - brill for anyone who like Spanish food!

The last couple of nights, I have been reading this ...



This book was first published in 1903, and has been re-published ever since - it's one of those foundational texts for anyone interested in design. I came across it by accident and bought it for the beautiful designs inside, but it is a brilliant resource for anyone dabbling in pattern design.



To be honest, I really want a book to read for entertainment - I'm going to check out Vic's recommendation for a good laugh later at Borders.

If you'd like to share what you're reading at your place - head over to the Punky & Me blog - it's open all week! Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a mag junkie too and there's ssoo many out there to inspire whatever your interests may be..gotta love that!

btw i love your little design book..must check it out!

Vic said...

Whoa - That's a lot of reading you've got there! How great is World Sweet World...?! I'll have to get the new one.

What else do I spy there that I desire...? The Crafty Minx book, yes please...!

Thanks for playing Nic, I'm glad you did! xo

Cherie said...

I'm with you too ... a magmaniace .... can't get enough of them! Love what you're reading, 1903, that's gorgeous. See you next week ;)

Jackie said...

Love the mags too though I am managing to wean myself off quite a few. Just getting too expensive. Your little Pattern Design Book looks great!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Gosh, all these unread magazines, bit sad isn't it, who does have time to read them?? I flick through for escape & fun, i'm not a reader so i like entertainment if i do open a book. Happy reading & cooking . . . love Posie

Beky said...

I love mags too. But I must admit I have narrowed my mag purchase to only Real Living Mag. Blogs are now my new magazines. Did you see the doco on the history of magazines the other night on the ABC? Part 2 is this week.

Kate said...

Wow, you do have a bit of a pile there don't you! I'm really trying hard not to buy many mags this year but to go back to all my older craft books and use them for inspiration instead. You know the ones you just had to buy because of all the things you wanted to make and then they ended up neatly on the shelf and forgotten about?

Pam said...

Yep I'd say you have an addiction there! Just like a lot of us here in blogland!!!! :-)!
I have piles of mags like yours, down in my studio.

the yellow house in the U said...

I love the Movida cookbook - have you seen the new one Rustica? Yum!

Alissa said...

I think the big pile beside the bed is a common occurance ;)

teddybearswednesday said...

I'm a bit the same I always have huge pile of books beside my bed that just keeps growing , Im not very good at putting them away. usually "inspiration books"
The Pattern Design Book looks amazing, gee they made things beautifully in the Old days

Wendy said...

If you haven't read Audrey Niffenegger's *The Time Traveler's Wife* then drop everything and do so NOW. In your jammies. While you drive. However you can work it in to your schedule...it's the best book I've read in years!