Thursday, January 7, 2010

pav love

I made this for dessert last night ...



Pavlova has to be the ultimate Australian summer treat - sweet, tart, crisp and soft all in one mouthful. Delish! Here's the recipe I use:

4 egg whites
1 cup castor (super fine) sugar
1.5 cups of cream, whipped (into submission)
fresh fruit on top - whatever you like that is in season - I used a punnet of blueberries, a punnet of strawberries and 2 passionfruit, but the possibilities are endless

Preheat oven to 150 degrees C
Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form
Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, allowing mixing time in between for the sugar to dissolve
Spread the meringue mixture onto a tray covered with baking paper - I try for a circle and make a bit of a dent in the middle for the cream and fruit later (thanks Nigella!)
Bake for 30-40 minutes until pale and crisp. Turn oven off, but leave pav in there to cool down (don't panic if it cracks a bit)
Once cool, top with cream and fruit - serve and enjoy immediately!

9 comments:

MiM said...

thanks for the recipe, that looks amazing . yum :)

CurlyPops said...

Yummo! Homemade pav is one of my all time favourite desserts.... which reminds me that I haven't spotted my pav plate since I moved house. Must search for it.

Kate said...

Oh yeah! I've just popped 12 mini pavs in the oven for Bren's birthday lunch today. Fresh berries and cream. YUM!

Thea said...

Drool! This is my favourite cake. The dent in the middle is a fab idea. x

Teek said...

yum this is a recipe I will HAVE to try.
Thanks

Michelle said...

Perfect timing! I decided the other night this would be the month for pavlova!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh, delicious!! Nothing like a fabulous home made pavlova. Do you save the yolks & do a carbonara the following night?? We do, or the other way around - carbonara, then a pav with the egg whites. Love Posie

Unknown said...

YUMMM wish I had some fresh fruit I would make this right now!!!

Amy said...

I just used your recipe! Many thanks - have a look at the hubby's birthday pav on my blog.