Tuesday, October 27, 2009

tarty tuesday - cherry clafouti



Inpsired by retromummy a couple of weeks ago, I made this lovely, easy recipe last night (Monday nights are pudding nights at our place!). I used a copy of Julia's recipe which was on the Recipe Zaar website here. I have also included it below...

Julia Child's Cherry Clafouti
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar, divided
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 cups cherries, pitted (canned work fine)
  • icing sugar, for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Using a blender, combine the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour, and blend.
  3. Lightly butter an 8-cup baking dish, and pour a 1/4-inch layer of the blended mixture over the bottom. Set remaining batter aside.
  4. Place dish into the oven for about 7-10 minutes, until a film of batter sets in the pan but the mixture is not baked through. Remove from oven (but don’t turn the oven off, yet).
  5. Distribute the pitted cherries over the set batter in the pan, then sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Pour the remaining batter over the cherries and sugar.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the clafouti is puffed and brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
  7. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
  8. Servings: 6-8 for dessert, 4 for breakfast.
 

Mr yardage gave this two thumbs up - it was delish! It certainly made up for my broad bean side dish that I served with dinner. I have never cooked broad beans before, and didn't realise that I needed to take the hard, chewy cover off the beans themselves (no wonder people say they are a labour of love to prepare - I thought they were being a bit dramatic!) - it was a good laugh!! Once we did that, they tasted great with the sauted onions, mushrooms, thyme and butter. Live and learn!!

7 comments:

Pam said...

Hi Nic. Popped in to thank you for visiting my bedside! :)
Have found so many yummy looking and sounding recipes in my travels through blogland that I've kept, with great intentions of making.......one day. This cherry clafouti is one more for the lengthening list!! Saw the movie too and just loved it!

Corrie said...

pudding night! I love it! that's what we need at our house I think!

Corrie;)

dillpickle said...

Sounds yummy! Broad beans are easier to peel if you blanch them for a minute - it loosens the skins and the good green bit just pops out. I love broad beans!

gret said...

Yum! Looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog too, and leaving your comment! Best wishes on the start of your little venture - you're very brave, but I bet you do wonderfully.

Gina said...

Thanks to you I am now drooooooling all over my keyboard. Very hard to clean up you know.

kermaxjack said...

I really wanted to compose a message in order to say thanks to you for those fantastic steps you are giving out on this site. My extended internet lookup has at the end of the day been recognized with reputable know-how to exchange with my company. I would mention that we visitors are unequivocally fortunate to live in a magnificent site with many marvellous professionals with interesting basics. I feel somewhat lucky to have used your entire site and look forward to really more pleasurable minutes reading here. Thanks once more for everything.
hospitality timber serving ware

CLARANCE MULLIANS said...

I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post's to be just what I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome weblog!
online deals melbourne