Thursday, May 26, 2011

winter crafting

We've had a cold snap here in Melbourne this week, so winter craft has taken hold a few weeks early.


The brooch I was making earlier in the week for the flower press brooch swap is now finished thanks to the addition of some black interfacing to keep everything firm and avoid fraying. Check out the brooch swap flickr page to see what others are making.


While I was working on the brooch, I got an idea to make a scarf from some lovely wool fabric I bought last winter ...


This scarf is made from just 25cm of wool fabric - selvedge to selvedge (literally - I left them as they were) - and then embellished with some woollen fabric offcuts; machine sewn using a blanket stitch. It took about half an hour, and I love it! The photo below shows the actual colours much better ...


Last but not least, I've been knitting a cowl ... in the round (excuse my first-time enthusiasm)! I feel very advanced (and slightly out of my depth), but it seems to be working somehow. Big needles and big wool are forgiving and lovely! I'm not following any pattern, just enough stitches to go around the needles, using the one stitch I know, and I'll stop when it's wide enough (OK, not really advanced at all, is it?!).


More creativity over here today!

P.S. Now might be the time to sign up for the Yardage Design Newsletter (on the sidebar) if you haven't already - an online shop SALE will be announced shortly.

27 comments:

Katie said...

Nic that broach is beautiful. As is the scarf. Looking forwarf to seeing the end of the cowl. I am yet to knit in the round. You are braver than I. All perfect for the cold weather.

trudi@maudeandme said...

They all exude warmth and beauty. And because I'm just in love with yarn at thte moment , am loving your choice of wool.I think I might just have try a cowl too.

Jill said...

All beautiful! Love the colour combinations. They all look lovely and cosy for winter!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Ady said...

I love the scarf with the little coloured squares. Gorgeous! And I love that beautiful brooch - it would look so fab on a winter coat.

Debra said...

Good on you for jumping in, i have been busy trying to find myself someone to teach me the art of sock making. Would never jump in the deep end!

Tania said...

For me, you are into advanced territory with this knitting in the round thing. I'm yet to try it, still working on my first cardigan (I'm terribly slow). All your projects look wonderful and cozy, just what is needed with this weather.

Christina Lowry said...

Loving your simple stylish scarf. Keeping the selvage was perfect too.

I've brought circs, but I'm yet to use them. They look a little scary. Though I am trying my hand at knitting lace now, which also looked scary.

I'm really enjoying learning how to knit and trying harder and harder things, step by step. By the end of Winter we may both be 'advanced knitters'! :)

Caroline said...

My, my you have been having fun this week! (I love the little leaves you sprinkled around your goodies.)

Cathie said...

you are having a winters creative week aren't you!
pure loveliness round here Nic, love the colours of your wool, amazing!
that brooch is wonderful, lucky swapee indeed.

happy creating ♥

*Staci* said...

Beautiful brooch and I love the patchwork wool scarf. I can't wait to see the cowl when you're done. :)

teddybearswednesday said...

loving all your makings of the week Nic.
the scarf is gorgeous , really beautiful in it's simplicity. love the brooch too and the yarn for the cowl. Can't wait to see it when it's done xo

Jennie said...

The brooch and scarf are brilliant! And i love the colour of the cowl, thats gunna go with everything!X

lamina@do a bit said...

Love the brooch and scarf... such gorgeous winter colours!! Can't wait to see the cowl when it's done... Great for this time of year :D

Michelle said...

The brooch is beautiful. Happy knitting - looks like you found yourself a nice place in the sun.

Rosalind said...

well at least it will be warm! How neat is your stitching!!! Very nice

Jennie said...

I made a scarf too! You'll like it: http://cravingsfrocks.blogspot.com/2011/05/yardage-design-scarf.html

Seaweed and Raine said...

Your brooch is cool - lucky swap partner! I really like your scarf - all the different tweeds... I particularly like the bright ones.

melissa said...

I love the scarf and I'm suitably impressed by your knitting. I can't knit a dolls blanket!

Anonymous said...

Oh lucky swap partner indeed! It's so lovely Nic.
x Alisa

Anonymous said...

Your wool is delightful!

Anca Pandrea said...

Here is summer already, but I am bookmarking this post for inspiration for next winter. Lovely colors.

june at noon said...

I love those cool weather textures and colors!

Rie said...

Eeek, I can't believe you've finished your brooch already, I've only just started! And the wool is delicious, what brand is it?

Jess said...

LOVE the brooch, im sure the recipient will love it - love the colours too, very wintery!

frangipani designs said...

I really hope that brooch is mine!!!!!!!!

Christy Franklin said...

Fabulous brooch!

Jen said...

Thank you thank you thank you for the gorgeous brooch! It went perfectly with the outfit I wore to work the day after it arrived! I shall take a photo soon & blog about it too.
Thank you also for the lovely bunting! I'm going to let my daughter make it up as her first sewing project.