Thursday, May 5, 2011

quilt two ~ a bedrunner ...

My second quilt project has been a surprise gift for a friend ... a simple bedrunner (a purely decorative item for the foot of the bed - totally useless, but pretty!) ...


I sketched out my design idea after googling bedrunners for some standard dimensions (this one is 60cm x 230cm for a queen bed). I matched Yardage Design Agapanthus fabric (in purple) with two shades of plain purple fabric from Patchwork on Central Park. It's a basic block and stripe configuration, not too densely quilted.


I made my own bias binding and backed the bedrunner in the dark purple fabric.


So, once it was finished, I wrapped it up a little bit fancy ...


... and gifted it to my friend who already has an Agapanthus cushion on her bed ...



It's lovely to make things for other people for no reason, don't you think?
More creativity over at Kootoyoo.

23 comments:

BOB & MABEL said...

So lovely. Your friend will love it.

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

Looks fantastic! What a great gift.

by marie-nicole said...

What a lovely gift!

Kirsty said...

I do think...I really do. Lovely Nic.

Andi said...

Yes ... VERY nice!!

Christina Lowry said...

What a fabulous and generous gift! I'm making a throw for my sister, and I know it's going to be hard to part with, even though she will love it as much as I do. I think...

:)

Jennie said...

Very swish! I'm so envious of you screenprinters, having so much of your own fabric to play with!

Bianca said...

pretty! how do you find the time (and patience) to make all these gorgeous things?

flowerpress said...

She is going to cherish that, what a wonderful pressie!

Rosalind said...

Beautiful job lovely lady! So pretty that fabric.

Caroline said...

Such a beautiful piece of work. Your friend will love it. Your quiliting is really coming along too Nic.

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

Oh it's lovely!!! Your friend is very lucky to have you :)

june at noon said...

So pretty! Your fabric is great in so many different applications.

Sherrin said...

I bet she loved it! It's awesome. I love that print.

Naturally Carol said...

I love your generosity..at work again! You've made a stunning bed runner..I never knew they were called that either...I am sure she'll be totally blown away by your gift!

Michelle said...

It looks lovely, and it is fabulous to make and gift things just because....

Seaweed and Raine said...

Lucky, lucky friend! That is gorgeous!!! Are you going to put up a tute for it? (*Hopeful grin*)

lamina@do a bit said...

Wow it's beautiful!!! Such a lovely gift!

mel @ loved handmade said...

It's beautiful, who wouldn't love it!! What a lovely friend you are..

tea with lucy said...

love that fabric and what you've done with it. beautiful. xo

Kelly Casanova said...

Lucky for your friend! I bet it looks wonderful with the matching cushion.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pressie from an equally gorgeous friend. : )
Thanks for throwing some sketches in the mix Nic. I love looking at pattern designers wip roughs. x Alisa

Karen said...

Lucky, lucky friend.