Friday, May 28, 2010

roll up, roll up ... it's show time!

You might remember (via this post) that I visited the Royal Melbourne Show last year and came back a bit disappointed that there wasn't much of the wonderful craft I see in blogland exhibited. My goal this year is enter at least one item myself, and hopefully encourage others to do the same.


It's not about winning or prizes - it's about participating and showing the viewing public something they may not have seen/thought of before. Here are just some of the excellent categories that you can enter (there are lots of sub-categories too, including those for first-timers):

fashion revisited/recycled 
-
embroidery
-
cushions, pillows and bolsters
-
fashion from the farm
-
felting
-
knitting
-
crochet
-
patchwork, quilting & applique
-
toy making
-
photography
-
cooking

Here's what you need to know:
1. The Art, Craft & Cookery Schedule (includes the full list of categories you can enter) and Application form can be downloaded here
2. Entry forms and fees (not the actual item) are due by Friday 23 July 2010
3. Deliver (by hand or post) you entered item(s) to the showground 7- 9 September 2010
4. The dates for this years show are Saturday 18 September to Tuesday 28 September at the Melbourne Showgrounds, Flemington
5. You don't have to make something new if you don't want to - enter something you've already made (as long as you made it less than 2 years ago) 

Feel free to copy all or part of this post if you would like to get the word out too. I have an image in my mind of the show organisers exclaiming at the wonderful variety and calibre of entries in 2010 - I hope that, together, we can add a bit of fun to the show this year!

13 comments:

Vic said...

Nic... You rock. You do. There are no two ways about it... I ALWAYS wonder, when show-time rolls around (anywhere), how people know when to enter lol.

Definately something to think about... and maybe even plan for... imagine!

Thank you!

Thea said...

Great idea Nic! If it's anything like the shows here, some modern craft is definitely need.

Sue Niven said...

Thanks for the info! I am eager to get my designing head on, just the move i need!

dillpickle said...

Now that is very useful information! I've been contemplating recently entering a knitted item in a novice category, as much to get me to actually finish something as anything else!! So this saves me the trouble of hunting for the info myself. Thanks :-)

CurlyPops said...

What a great idea Nic. I got all inspired by Liesl's scone entry last year and vowed that I'd have a go this year.... now what to make???

teddybearswednesday said...

I think it's a great idea Nic, go you!!
I think I may join you... thanks so much xo

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Good luck Nic, oh, go for it!! Love Posie

Kelly Casanova said...

Thanks so much for this, I never would have thought of entering something, but now my thinking cap is on!!

Liesl said...

Oh I'll be there with bells on, that's for sure!

Don't forget there's an early-bird fee too for submitting your application early - it makes it a bit cheaper, esepcially if you plan entering in multiple categories.

Good luck!

Sarah said...

Thanks for letting me know the closing dates for the show. I'll definitely be entering something again. Probably one or two preserves. Last time I did well I was so proud of my VHC (Very Highly Commended) so hope this time I go even better (it will help if I don't overcook my chutney!)
It's such good fun.
Good luck!

Amanda said...

That's great you'll be entering something in the show. Good luck!!

Catherine said...

I'll be cheering you all on - such a great idea Nic!

Kylie said...

I say go for it and good luck. I have entered in a few shows in the areas that we are iving inat the time - It is my aim to enter afew things tis year that are not BabyCack Yellow:) I have done some lovely things in the past and they are the brightest knits that would be loved by any new mum - but NOT the judges cup of tea!