Thursday, May 13, 2010

my creative space ... fabric covered buttons

One of the joys of the show last week was meeting new people. I was lucky enough to be located across from Carol who makes lovely little things under the name Itchy Bird. One morning, I arrived early to find Carol making up some craft kits to cover your own buttons ... I couldn't resist a bit of crafting before the show opened, so I played around with some of Carol's kits. I was addicted, and bought a couple so that I could cover buttons with my own fabric ...


I just love them! The red and yellow things below are all you need to cover the buttons (once you've cut out a circle of fabric and you have the button bits - try Spotlight or Lincraft) - so easy! The good thing is that you can get larger ones too (search the supplies section of etsy for button kits). All this time I thought you needed an expensive machine ... yay for fellow crafters!


Just a quick note to let you know that all of the red tram roll tea towels sold out at the show, and I have a just a few of the blue ones left, so I put them in the shop along with some fabric and fabric packs. Fingers crossed I'll be able to source more of the lovely linen I used for the red tea towels again ... I'll keep you posted.


Don't forget to drop in and see Kirsty to find out what everyone else is up to today in their creative spaces.

31 comments:

Kate said...

The buttons look brilliant!
Will have to investigate this self covered button thing. I thought you needed lots of equipment too.

Tweed Thoughts said...

Ah, you've caught the bug - they're lovely!! I'm still working on getting from button to badge :)

Unknown said...

Wow never knew they were that "doable" might have to give these a go when I finally cave and start sewing again..They are lovely!

Jennie said...

Those plastic thingys look like they'd make the job so much easier! Thank you!!

Kirsty said...

Don't the Yardage buttons look wonderful.

mel @ loved handmade said...

Your fabric makes for beautiful buttons! I had no idea button covering could be so simple, I too imagined a big elaborate machine...

Jill said...

Oooh, might have to get me some of those highly technical red and yellow thingies! Your buttons look fab!

Jill

melissa said...

Oooh - they look great. I remember my mum having a button making kit kinda like that when I was little.

Penny said...

The buttons are so lovely!

Kylie said...

Those buttons are fantastic - I can see why you couldn't resist! Still loving my tram roll menu and very glad I got in early ;) Kx

Cathie said...

button making can become quite addictive, especially with your gorgeous fabric!

Liesl said...

There's nothing more gratifying than turning offcuts of special fabric into a set of beautiful buttons.

Yours look fabulous in your prints!

teddybearswednesday said...

the buttons look gorgeous!!! I'm very impressed. xo

june at noon said...

What great-looking buttons! I haven't seen anything yet that your fabric doesn't look good on.

Mary said...

The circle design looks great as a button! Was lovely to meet you over the weekend too :).

Kelly Rachel said...

Fabric covered buttons are the absolute best. Yours look awesome - very professional! I don't get it though...do you need the red and yellow bits AND button kits from Spotlight? I'm confuselled.

yardage girl said...

Sorry for any confusion - the buttons come in two parts (a metal bit that you cover with fabric and then the plastic back with the shank on it) and you use the red and yellow tools to do the actual covering. You can buy all of these together in kits, but once you have the tool, you can buy extra button parts at Spotlight or Lincraft (Birch make them). Hope this helps! Nic

Wendy said...

These are lovely, Nic. (Duly added to my Very Long List of Things to Make)

Kellie Christie said...

Congratulations on your success at the show! The fabric buttons are lovely, I haven't made them before but hope to give it a go one day.

Margaret said...

Nic, it was great to meet you at the stitches and craft show. My hubby does indeed work for John. Small world!

Margaret

lisa stubbs said...

Your buttons look great! They'd look fab as a centre piece of a brooch :)

belinda marshall said...

the buttons look great!
congrats on all the sales at the show :)

Steph said...

Your buttons look brilliant!! Hope you have a glorious weekend :)

Chicken Willow said...

The fabric looks great on buttons!

Swirlyarts said...

I like buttons :)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Love covering my buttons, so much fun, sizes & things you can do with them!! If in doubt, thread onto a shepherds crook & da dah, brooch!! Love Posie

Clair said...

Loving the little blue, leafy one. Yum.

Vic said...

Hehehe... I got a red one, I got a red one! I don't mean to rub it in to anyone or anything, but *coughs* Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner!!! ;)

Michelle said...

The covered buttons look great. Glad you had a great time at the show.

midge said...

i say yay for you nic, i have been wanting to cover buttons forever and thought i would need a big fat machine. i love your buttons, your prints are perfect for them

Kelly Rachel said...

Ohhh I think I get it now. So the red and yellow bits kind of push the fabric on. Well, how about that. Thanks for clearing up my confusellness! :D