Thursday, March 18, 2010

my creative space ... canvas art

This week, I've been tarting up the kitchen and taking photos ready for a secret squirrel project which can hopefully be revealed in the next day or two. Anyway, I had a space above the fridge I wanted to fill, and with an idea that came from this lovely lady, I thought I would have a go at some quick canvas kitchen art. Here's how I did it ...

Step 1 - gather a canvas that will fit the fabric you want to show off, some double sided fabric tape and a stapler ...


Step 2 - position the fabric on the front of the canvas so it looks good, then flip it over and lie flat on a the table. Put a length of fabric tape along each of the longer edges of the canvas and evenly fold up those edges of the fabric and stick down.


Step 3 - Fold the corners and staple as shown below ... keep everything as firm as possible.


Step 4 - Put another length of fabric tape along the two remaining sides of the canvas, evenly fold up the fabric and stick down.


Step 5 - Staple to secure, then staple some string or twine about 15cm from the top of each side of the canvas so you can hang it on a hook.


TIP: to make the edges and folded corners of your canvas look even better, run your iron lightly over them - very profesh!

This is how mine turned out ...


It must be said that my trio of artichokes has nothing on Little Mister's beautiful painting, but I think they look nice together. I love a bit of art in the kitchen!
I hope your week has been creative too. Catch up with Kirsty at Kootoyoo for some other lovely creative spaces or to join in. Thanks for stopping by!

34 comments:

CurlyPops said...

You've gotta love kitchen art! It's the perfect way to add a splash of colour to all the white.

mel @ loved handmade said...

Love it! I so love your prints, how could you not display them!

Kellie Christie said...

Great idea! Definitely a good way to spruce up the kitchen! Love the artichoke trio.

Penny said...

It looks gorgeous! Such a clean & tidy fridge - amazing!

Jennie said...

What a great idea, looks brilliant!

Sally said...

Brilliant idea. Looks wonderful. Love Mr's art too!!!

Tammy said...

Both artworks are lovely Nic!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

you know I love this! You MUST know!!!

Cathie said...

yay, very nice Nic!
both artworks of course!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! What a fetching combination they make together too.

dash robin said...

lovely idea.

Melanie said...

Nice work. Your canvas is awesome for a kitchen but I have to say I am in love with the framed masterpiece too. I have so many of them saved up to frame but never did.

midge said...

i love your artichokes, so flowery and pretty. it looks great. great tute too. thanks

Kirsty said...

Ah yes...very profesh. I too love kiddie art but mine are a bit embarassed of the kinder stuff now so it's shelved until they "get over it".

Kylie said...

Looks great - thanks for the tips

Sarah. Splish Splash Designs said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing your tips :)

teddybearswednesday said...

looks great, and what a super little tutorial- thanks Nic x

Debbie @ OtRD said...

They do look great together! What a qucik and simple way to display a fabric that you love!

june at noon said...

So great. Nothing better than a lovely grouping of artichokes and a colorful, personal art piece! I'm getting ready to frame several of my daughter's brightest masterpieces. I think they'll be way better than any artwork I could create myself!

Julie said...

Looks great, doing a fabric canvas is on my "to do" list, thanks for the lesson.

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

So simple but so great Nic. And you should have your artwork up there on display, right beside your Little Mister's!

One Flew Over said...

A fantastic idea!!

crzylady said...

I love it! What a lovely and quick idea!

Unknown said...

I love it and the little Mr.'s art too..What a wonderful space.

Wendy said...

"tarting up the kitchen!" I love it! And your trio of 'chokes has me drooling with canvas-envy. Beautiful!

Cake Ink. said...

He he love it Nic! ;)

Pippi creates said...

Nice work Nic! And pass on the compliemnts to the Little Mister too! I agree - they look great together.

lisa stubbs said...

Your canvas art looks amazing! you should sell them in your shop! fab!

belinda marshall said...

this is a beautiful corner. it's sweet to have your work hanging there together :)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Love ALL your kitchen art, beautiful!! Just a tip for canvas/ fabric so close to the kitchen, use scotch guard so it doesn't get any nasty grease marks after a few months. Doesn't matter how clean your cooking or kitchen, it's in the air damn it. Love Posie

Ooty said...

looks great! Love the artichoke trio and the little Mr.'s art too =)

Mel said...

I love art in the bathroom. Not that I have any but one day ... And I think your artichoke's stack up very nicely next to the little Mr's!

Snooze said...

gorgeous addition ... it looks like an interesting corner in the kitchen.

Sarah said...

I have collected quite a few canvasses waiting for some fabric adornment so thanks for the 'how to' will be very useful. Also just to say the t-towel arrived safely and I LOVE it! Going to frame it and hang it somewhere where it'll get a good viewing. Thanks for sending it super quick. x