Tuesday, September 27, 2011

trial, error and going against my sewing instinct

I've finally had time to sew something ~ hooray! I signed up for the bunting swap a while ago and the bunting flags are due to be posted this week, so this was my priority project. I like using these swaps to experiment a bit. I had an idea a while ago about using patchwork, so I started where I always do ~ cutting and sewing strips of fabric (loving these colours together) ...


I'm with Tania about loving the back of patchwork tops ...


Then I thought I might cut these into strips, crossways ...


This is where things start to go a little pear shaped ~ I joined the strips together, creating a tiny patchwork ...


It looks OK, but I think the back looks fab!


So I keep going ... cutting out the bunting template ...


I even join up the offcuts to make another bunting flag, back them and here they are ...


I don't love them, but I don't hate them. My sewing instinct told me to just stick with the strips ~ I think that would have resulted in a better outcome. Still, I enjoyed sewing these, and sometimes you need to do things a little differently every now and again. It was a small amount of fabric (from my new Verano range - available here) and about an hour's work, so not a total waste. I think I will try this again but with the strips ~ I have a new idea in my head.

Happy sewing!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I love the colours. I do like them but agree I think the strips would of been better. But hey experimentation is good for the soul... or something like that ;-P

Kelly Casanova said...

They look great, I love the idea of working with strips and taking it a bit further. You totally need to do things differently here and there - it's how we learn!

Tania said...

I did a hyperventilatey thing when I saw the 'back' shot! Be still my beating heart. And guess what? We must be going through the same sort of phase, because my bunting is looking a whole lot similar to your strippy bunting!

Tania said...

PS. I went back to check out those squares again. They'd make a GORGEOUS cushion. A STUPENDOUS quilt. (sorry. That'd be quite some quilt angst).

Jennie said...

That shot of the back is really amazing!
Definately do something like that to make something!x

Mareenchen said...

You're right, those colours are great together. Strips would appeal more to me as well, but hey, one can only know for sure after some experimentation! :)

june at noon said...

It was a good trial, and yes, the backs are AWESOME!