Tuesday, January 29, 2013

everything is new :: year, house, studio

Happy new year! January has simply evaporated ~ for lots of reasons, but the main one being that we moved house. Interstate. To Brisbane. I know ... life is never dull in the James family! We made a decision at the end of last year to relocate here to make it easier for Mr Yardage (less travel), and so that we could all be together more of the time. So, we bought a house {a beautiful old Queenslander} and moved in early January.


We're pretty much unpacked and settled now. It helps to have my things around me and things to look and feel homey. To be honest, an interstate move was an absolute piece of cake compared to moving overseas!

We survived ex tropical cyclone Oswald unscathed over the weekend ~ no damage or flooding where we are (this was a major criteria when we were looking to buy in this city, I might add!), just a LOT of rain (more rain than I've ever seen) and lots of leaves and sticks everywhere. We were very lucky. Many have not been, and our thoughts are with them.


So things are back to normal, just in a different city. I'm back to "work" at Yardage Design today, and the online shop has already reopened. I'm looking forward to setting up my printing space in the downstairs part of the house and getting stuck into it.

Have a great week.






P.S. For those of you wondering, it was terrible to have to leave my beautiful studio at the Abbottsford Convent. I loved it. There were tears. But, I have moved on. The space is now home to some other creatives, and one day I hope to go back. But probably not for a while. I kinda want to stay in the one place for a while now ~ that's the plan anyway.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

What a busy and exciting month you've had Nic! So glad to hear you haven't been effected by the storm and, even from just a few pictures, your new home looks just lovely. Happy settling in the new printing space! I am looking forward to another year following of your creations:) x

by marie-nicole said...

Wow, another big change... happy to hear you were not affected by the cyclone. Wishing you all the best with settling into your new life in Brisbane! x

Rabbit and the Duck said...

Oh you've moved north, me too! Seems a few Melbourne creatives moved up this way over the Christmas break : ) I'm in northern NSW, still cleaning up after the wild weekend weather. Your new home looks lovely, I love those old Queenslanders x

Beky said...

Wow, you have moved up North. Thank goodness you are ok. Funny to know that the first and last time I was in your Melbourne studio it would be the last. Good luck with everything, looking forward to seeing more photos.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Welcome to Brisbane Nic! I am so glad you guys got through this weekend unscathed...what a welcome that was for you!

lamina@do a bit said...

Wow... what a big move but it sounds like it was the best decision :) So glad you haven't been affected by all that flooding too! :)

Kate said...

All I can think of is the patch work curtain for the studio. Where's it going to go? x

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

I was getting so confused about why you were suddenly in Brisbane, but all is explained now. It will be wonderful to be with Mr Yardage more, and so glad the move went smoothly.

74 Lime Lane said...

I was wondering about the Brisbane pics. Here's to a new chapter.

Lisa H said...

Best of luck to you and your family. Looking forward to seeing how or if your new locale influences your designs.

Unknown said...

Wow... big move and you seem to have done it with such ease... it took me months to settle in after my move back to Sydney but probably because I moved in with my mum (for now) but it was mostly with streamlining her stuff and having a huge eBay campaign - most of my stuff is in storage and I miss it :( It must have been hard to leave your lovely studio but it seems you may have a good substitute right downstairs... Enjoy the new home, studio and year!

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Nic, lovely to have you up here in Queensland. Finding a place that would never flood was one of our major priorities when we moved up here from ACT, 8 years ago...nearly 9 actually...a few conversations with some older locals have proved invaluable. All the best with everything.

Christina Lowry said...

Welcome to Brisbane! I too was wondering about the Brissy pics. Maybe we can meet up for a cuppa at the gallery one day?

:)

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

Wow - well done.
You guys sound like the experienced movers.
We considering our first interstate move shortly - leaving Melb also but maybe going sideways to Perth.
VERY nervous but trying to appear cool and enthusiastic.
Hope I'm as cool as you.

Caroline said...

Oh wow! Welcome to Brisbane. I've been here for almost 10 years (ex-Melbourne) and I actually prefer it now (but not the freak weather events so much). There's a great craft and handmade community here, you'll find your feet sooner than later. Hopefully we'll bump into each other at some point. Have a great day!

Thea said...

Had no idea you were here. Hope you're enjoying the wet weather. Seems to be the norm the last few summers. May see you around.

Pippi creates said...

Lovely pics of the house. Looking forward to seeing more as you settle in and make your mark on the place!

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

Wow, big changes! All the best with the settling in Nic, sad to see you leave Melbourne though. x Alisa