Sunday, March 25, 2012

scotland

This time last weekend, we were in Scotland. It was four days of heaven ~ starting in Edinburgh and then driving (over a couple of days) through the highlands to Loch Ness, Inverness, then around to Aberdeen, Dundee and back to Edinburgh. Here are a few of my favourite pics of the trip ...

Beautiful rolling hills and stone buildings ~ between Aberdeen and Dundee
Loch Ness ~ I have been dreaming of coming here since I was a child ~ a big tick on my list of things to do in life
(P.S. Nessie was "having a nap" when we visited)
Quaint village near Loch Ness
Old walled garden, Culloden House,  Inverness
Daffodils everywhere we went ~ these were in Aberdeen
The Frayed Hem in Edinburgh ~ perfect spot for a crafternoon!
Edinburgh 
My red door obsession was indulged in Edinburgh!
Dream house ...
Approaching the Highlands


It is rare that we will visit a place and feel immediately at home ~ like it is somehow familiar and we belong. We felt this way about Scotland, and Edinburgh in particular. I could live there in a heartbeat. It's up there with Melbourne for me, and that's saying something! At the departures area of Edinburgh airport, there is a sign saying "Haste ye back" ~ meaning "return soon" ~ no encouragement needed. Scotland is magic.

I posted lots more pics to my instagram incase you're interested. Hope your weekend has been lovely so far!

7 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Such beautiful photos Nic! I have cousins in Scotland and I would love to go visit one day.

Sally said...

I lived in Scotland for a bit a long way back... it is a very special place.

Jennie said...

Fantastic photos Nic -
I love Scotland, especially Edinburgh (the Tatoo and many a New Years there!). I adore the accent and I'm half Scottish too!x

gardenglut said...

I too love Scotland, and like you ( despite being Australian born and bred) its a place I felt at home in. I lived for a little while in Ullapool, way up on the north west coast where the ferry goes off to the Western Isles. I worked in a small seafood restaurant called the Frigate, and in my spare time I went 'hillwalking' as they say. Just cooking and walking... pretty nice. It is very very beautiful especially up in the highlands.

Anca Pandrea said...

The red door looks absolutely stunning!
Have a lovely Sunday!

Annie said...

Hey Nic, Scotland is definitely a place I want to go in my lifetime. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pics. Lucky girl you.

Anonymous said...

You lucky duck! : ) Our last visit to Scotland was to Loch Lomond, it was stormy, misty, dramatic and completely stunning. x Alisa