Thursday, December 15, 2011

union jack cushion ... my way!

I've had a plan to sew a union jack (British flag) cushion for ages. It's not an original idea (union jack's are on just about everything these days), but I really just wanted to try out this lovely, iconic design in my own way. Using my own fabrics. As you do!


The first thing I did was buy a rectangle shaped cushion. Then I printed a union jack out on paper and worked out all of the dimensions to suit the cushion, as well as being true to the proportions of the design. Then I cut lots of strips of fabric and sewed them onto a rectangle base.


Circa (navy on natural linen/cotton) and Swizzle (deep red on natural linen/cotton) and plain natural linen/cotton were used to create the flag and correspond to the red, white and blue theme.




I really enjoyed sewing this cushion and I love the end result. I think I might sew some more and experiment a little further. In the mean time, it's nice to have prototypes to scatter on the lounge!

A final reminder ~ just a few days left to take advantage of the Yardage Design online store free shipping offer ... until 20 December there is FREE SHIPPING worldwide for orders greater than $35. Simply enter the code word CHRISTMAS at the checkout and your shopping cart will automatically update once the order is over $35.

10 comments:

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

Your cushion looks fantastic!

I've been wanting to make one in florals for the baby's room, and have been wondering why so many people seem to be going to complicated lengths to piece bits of fabric together rather than construct them in layers as you've done (and as the flag makers do I might add!). I hadn't thought about printing a flag to get the dimensions correct though, so thanks for the pointer.

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous, Nic! Very inspiring! I would love one of those on my couch too:) x

Vic said...

You better get that in the post if you want it to get to me by Christmas... ;)

melissa said...

LOVE it!!

Caroline said...

Oh this is cute! Nice and subtle, and a great little project.

Juicy Roo said...

My goodness Nic your sewing is absolutely impeccable!
Lovely work. :)

Merry-Go-Round Handmade said...

Love this!
Just divine!

Toner Cartridges said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RodPrjónar said...

Hi Nic :)
I really like your blog... and a lot!
You make beautiful things and take amazing pictures!

Thank you so much or having visited my blog. I will start following yours to see what you will be coming up with! Can't wait to see more!!

Greeting from Iceland!

Zedd said...

Best union jack ever! Looks fantastic!