Thursday, November 17, 2011

block printing

I've been block printing this week. Drawing designs, carving them and printing them on natural linen for the handprinted fabric swap. I was thinking of just screenprinting my designs for this swap, but I think swaps are a good opportunity to try something different and take some time to "play". So that's what I did! Here is the end result ... four pieces of fabric ready to be posted to my swap partners ...


All of my swap partners liked blue, so I tried to stick with mostly blues, but it just wouldn't be right not to have a bit of red in there for good measure ~ it's my fave!


While I also tried to get away from geometrics (and I sort of did ~ see further below), I find them hard to resist - especially little circles.


Clearly, I am not a block printer. My prints are not perfect. I tried a brayer to apply the ink to the larger block, but found my make-shift stamp pad (disguised as a kitchen sponge) the most consistent and even application of ink. (I think one of the reasons I love screenprinting so much is the precision of the print ~ no offence to block printing ~ it's not you, it's definitely me!)


I did make a small leaf/petal block too ~ just to prove I could get away from geometric design (although you might notice that this design is just a pile of shapes on top of one another - shhh!).

There's a great flickr group of the work by swap participants here, and more creative spaces here!

Also, don't forget that there is free worldwide shipping in the Yardage Design shop until 20 December for orders over $35AUD ~ just enter the code word CHRISTMAS at the checkout.

Have a great Thursday!

26 comments:

lamina@do a bit said...

They look gorgeous.. lucky swap partners! I think I like the precision of screen printing too though I do like the texture that block printing gives sometimes :)

Fay said...

Wow they look great!

Jill said...

Beautiful printed fabric! I love the leaf one!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

june at noon said...

It's gorgeous! I love the look of handprinted fabric, with its slight imperfections that give it authenticity! Your "stamp pad" is clever, too.

Roslyn said...

They are beautiful. The blue leaf is my favourite.

cheryl @ nefotlak. said...

love the circles - lovely!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Just lovely. What lucky peeps to be getting your gorgeous fabric in the mail :)

another donkey design by kate said...

Love the blue with the little red highlights! Lucky swap partners.

TheAccidentalCrafter said...

My fav would be the blue with red circles, what an effective design. Well done.

Naturally Carol said...

Love the small leaf/petal design, especially in that particular blue..very pretty.

Kylie said...

They are gorgeous! But yes, I agree, even paint distribution is the biggest problem. The larger the block, the more troublesome. I love your designs though, as always :) Kx

::The Beetle Shack:: said...

these are beautiful, personally I like the imperfections that come with all forms of printmaking, especially block printing. It adds character!

Stunning work

xo em

Wombat's Picnic said...

These are stunning - love the little peek of red, makes them a little bit cheeky:) Cyndy

Tania said...

Mate, I was right on to you from the start, with your geometric ungeometrics! It matters not a jot - you do fabulous (un)geometrics...

Katie said...

wow - love your patterns

Nikki Shipard-Watson said...

ooooh these a wonderful Nic :) you knew i would get excited to see some blockprinted fabric!!!

it is challenging i agree, but that is what i like about blockprinting fabric... the slight variations and pressure spots you get in the print, i think, are just magic!

happy thursday to you too!

flowerpress said...

Love it, there's some great work coming out of this swap.
I'm a bit like you with the precision bit, but I also like a bit of the patchy block print quality in the right design.

Notchka said...

They're awesome prints - I think the patchy works well with the linen texture.

Kiran Ravilious said...

They are lovely Nic! Block printing can be a pain. I got a lady complaining about a tiny blemish the other day and other customers who really like a slight variation... even with the Indian block prints you quite often find flaws which can be rather nice.

Bianca said...

I think they look gorgeous and I like the organic-ness of them. Nothing and nobody is perfect ;)

rachael {imagine gnats} said...

found your blog from leslie's post. lovely prints :)

sascedar said...

this printing is awesome. love the irregular, organic look to the block printing- prefer that over a perfect print!

belinda marshall said...

i like the excuse to play! love the flower design ~ very beautiful :)

jpknits said...

Those are lovely, LOVELY prints.

Fabric ink rather than fabric paint, eh?

Well. More learning.

Pinecone Camp said...

Your fabrics are so gorgeous! Haven't checked in for a bit, now I'm going though heaps of your posts!

Anonymous said...

Oh Nic I absolutely adore that flower print, fingers crossed you make that into yardage. It's fab, I'll be first in line! x Alisa